Published July 10, 2025

JOSHUA ALLAN
The 1019 Report

For centuries, the St. Lawrence River has served as an important shipping route, giving access to the interior of Canada. And for more than half a century — from 1899 to 1958 — the Soulanges Canal was part of that vital commercial route. Thousands of ships would enter the canal either at Pointe des Cascades or Les Coteaux and travel for 23 kilometres to bypass rapids before exiting and continuing their journey — either westward toward the Great Lakes or eastward out to sea.

Construction of the canal began in 1892, designed to replace the Beauharnois Canal that was not deep enough to accommodate larger cargo ships.

Construction of the Soulanges Canal spanned seven years, with as many as 1,200 workers facing the challenges of having to remove large stones found all long its route.

When it finally opened in October 1899, the canal was the first in the world to use the river’s current to generate electricity, which was used to power street lamps along its route. This electrification also enabled the five locks along the canal to function with fewer operators, allowing the canal to run 24 hours a day.

Four lighthouses — two at both the entrance and exit of the canal — also lit the way for passing ships. These lighthouses in Pointe des Cascades and Les Coteaux are still standing today.

Between 1940 and 1950 an estimated 5,000 ships travelled through the canal, with the last ship passing through in the fall of 1958.

While the Soulanges Canal fell into disuse, its history has been immortalized with numerous information panels that can be found along its 23-kilometre stretch. Over the past 70 years, the canal has also been enjoyed by locals for swimming, kayaking, paddleboarding and other water activities.

Petit Pouvoir

The hydroelectric power station built alongside the canal in Les Cèdres in 1899, dubbed the “Petit Pouvoir,” was designed by engineer Thomas Monro in the Romanesque château style, including turrets, quoins-style corners and cornices.

As with the canal itself, the station ceased operations in 1958, however, the Petit Pouvoir’s impressive architecture earned it a designation as a heritage building by the Quebec government in 1984.

Though the building has been vacant since 1995, Transports Quebec confirmed plans are in the works to restore the historic structure.

“Once restored, the ministry will seek to find a partner who can operate this heritage building in a viable and sustainable manner,” Transport Quebec spokesperson Stéphanie Langelier told The 1019 Report.

There is no timeline for the refurbishing plan, however.

Scroll to Top