Published February 5, 2025

Nelson Sergerie, LJI Journalist

PERCÉ – After noticing that the Anse du Sud beach will have to be replenished this year, Percé Mayor Daniel Leboeuf raised the issue with the Ministry of Public Security. 

The mayor noted work done in the 2010s, including the rebuilt promenade, and the beach replenishment which protects the promenade but it remains vulnerable in certain areas. 

“The emergency work carried out in the fall of 2023 made it possible to secure the promenade and other structures. Adjustment work was planned for 2024, but it happened at the beginning of the summer. There was a difference of opinion with what the Ministry of Public Safety was proposing and there were other incidents,” explains Mayor Leboeuf, referring to, without saying so, the resignation of former Mayor Cathy Poirier. 

“From one point of view, it was a good thing because, before Christmas, we had a few high tides that encroached on the recharge and the promenade is close to being in danger. We will need it done in 2025 and discussions with the Ministry of Public Safety have begun,” he says. 

In 2023, a massive recharge had been done, even going so far as to practically eliminate developments carried out in 2017. 

“It’s a bit of trial and error. We identified a few places where we would need to add more,” explains the mayor. 

The Ministry of Public Safety will assume the bulk of the costs, with a game plan expected by the end of January. Meanwhile, emergency repairs to the old promenade wall inside the fishing harbour, done last year, will need to be redone. The Ministry of Transport has been called in to address this portion. 

“The end of this promenade has been affected. Even the emergency work is starting to fail. We are losing big chunks of it,” says the elected official. “We will have to see if we will have to find another solution,” he says. 

Organizational diagnosis 

The Town of Percé has commissioned an organizational diagnosis to assess its municipal administration, following a report published last year on its operations. A contract worth $63,256, with the possibility of reaching $70,000 with various amendments, was awarded to the firm GO RH. 

At the January 14 municipal council meeting, some citizens questioned this expense, asking why the work was not done internally. “One of the problems we have to face is the shortage of municipal officers. The director of urban planning has left, the clerk has retired, and the municipal inspector is not in the office. It would be asking for extra work from the remaining employees for a human resources specialist approach,” explains the mayor. 

Using specialists who have experience could be beneficial for the Town of Percé. “They have seen other things and can find ways for us to operate more efficiently and perhaps even with a more reasonable budget. We found that it was a good investment,” he states. 

The town plans to meet with the firm in the coming days to define the schedule and the mayor hopes to submit the report by the end of the year. 

Even though the Commission had not made it an obligation, this exercise was strongly suggested. “When the school principal recommends that we line up and enter the classroom, we obey,” says Mr. Leboeuf 

Petition in support of Mr. Émile 

A petition to support the relocation project of Fumoir M. Émile de Percé has collected 634 signatures and has been submitted to the municipal council. 

The ten existing jobs, the strengthening of the agritourism economy, supporting the next generation of entrepreneurs, the international recognition of the product and its local pride are cited in support of the request. The petition, initiated by the employees, was submitted by co-owner Cathy Poirier to the elected officials. 

The company had requested a zoning change to allow a larger building at Anse-à-Beaufils, which was refused in December. 

“I would ask you, Mr. Mayor, if you could sit down with the council again to discuss the situation. The project will respect the district of the sector in its architecture, its attractiveness, etc.,” argued Ms. Poirier. 

In the event of a positive response, Ms. Poirier added that a building permit would be required, which would allow for all the elements to be detailed in accordance with an amended by-law. 

The council has accepted the petition. 

In December, the request filed by Alain Méthot consisted of amending the zoning by-law in the Anse-à-Beaufils sector to increase the maximum occupied surface area from 250 square metres to 420 square metres to allow for the installation of a smoking room on the street in Bonfils. 

The company’s objective was to bring together its facilities on Highway 132, rather than maintaining activities on Chemin d’Irlande. 

The council’s rejection of the zoning change was perceived by Ms. Poirier as a form of revenge, as she had resigned from the municipal council in July following several months of tension with certain council members and ongoing issues at the town hall. 

Scroll to Top