The Sûreté du Québec announced last week that it had arrested four men, including two from Laval, believed to be connected to a car-theft ring specialized in shipping stolen vehicles overseas.
Two men from Laval, 52 and 54 years old respectively and two others from Terrebonne, 41 and 51 years, were scheduled to appear via videoconference at the Montreal courthouse to face charges related to the thefts, which according to police took place in Montreal and Toronto.
The arrests were part of a special investigation overseen by the SQ, involving eight police forces. Nearly 50 vehicles and $300,000 in cash were seized during the operation.
Woman critically injured in car crash at downtown Laval grocery
A female pedestrian was left in critical condition last week after a car hit her in the parking lot of a downtown Laval grocery store, after which the vehicle crashed into the store entrance.
Paramedics received a 9-1-1 call at 4:15 p.m. on Nov. 15 and responded to the Metro supermarket on de l’Avenir Blvd. in the Laval-des-Rapides sector.
The pedestrian, in her 40s, suffered serious injuries and was sent to hospital in life-threatening condition, according to Urgences-santé. In the meantime, paramedics treated two other people at the scene, although they didn’t require hospitalization.
LPD officer suspended after spouse’s arrest during narcotics raid
The Laval Police Dept. has suspended a policewoman following the execution of a warrant to arrest a suspected drug trafficker at a Laval home where she was living under the same roof as the suspect to whom she is married.
LPD officers were assisting investigators from the Montreal Police Dept.’s organized crime division last week, when they spotted the policewoman, said to be in her 30s.
A spokesperson for the Laval Police told media that the officer’s access to LPD facilities has been cut off while an internal investigation takes place. According to reports, the officer has around five years experience.
This unexpected development came about as the Montreal and Laval police were conducting a major raid, in which as many as nine suspects were arrested on alleged drug trafficking and illegal arms possession charges.
During an earlier raid, the LPD arrested three drug trafficking suspects – in their early to late 40s – at two residences in Chomedey and Vimont.
According to reports, the raids resulted in the seizure of more than $95,000 in narcotics, including 300 grams of cocaine, 11,000 tablets of methamphetamine, an unspecified number of counterfeit Xanax tranquilizer tablets, and Canadian denomination cash.
Father of slain Sainte-Dorothée children deemed fit to stand trial
A 46-year-old man from Sainte-Dorothée who was in a coma in hospital for most of the past month after his two children were found dead in the family home was deemed fit to stand trial last week following a video linkup with justice officials at the Laval courthouse.
Kamaljit Arora, who is currently being detained at the Philippe Pinel Institute, was formally charged after doctors who conducted an evaluation of him at the psychiatric hospital on Henri Bourassa Blvd. in Montreal declared him fit to face justice.
Arora faces two charges of first-degree murder, as well as one charge that he assaulted his wife by strangling her on the same day the children were found dead.
It is alleged that Arora killed his 13-year-old daughter and his 11-year-old son in the family’s home on Lauzon St. in Sainte-Dorothée on Oct. 17. According to several media accounts, they were drugged and drowned in a bathtub.
Ontario police charge two from Laval in ‘grandparent scam’
Police in Hamilton, Ontario have arrested two men from Laval who face charges of conducting a “grandparent scam” involving the exploitation of a senior citizen in his 90s.
On Nov. 1, according to the force, the victim, from Hamilton, began receiving phone calls from a male suspect impersonating an RCMP police officer.
He was told that his grandson was arrested for having a large quantity of drugs in his vehicle and was in police custody. The scammer then demanded the victim pay a $120,000 bond to release the grandson.
Boyer seeks more help from Quebec to deal with rising violence
Reacting to the recent gunfire incident outside Collège Montmorency which sent up to four people to hospital, Mayor Stéphane Boyer said he was asking the provincial government for additional financial support to combat the rising tide of armed violence.
“It’s not the first time that issues of public security have been raised over the past year, whether in Laval or Montreal or elsewhere,” he told journalists after speaking with Quebec Public Security Minister François Bonnardel.
Boyer said Laval wants Quebec to provide the city with additional funding, comparable to what the City of Montreal received recently to deal with its own escalation of armed violence.
“It is our hope to be able to receive the same financial support so that we can be certain that our police have all the necessary tools in hand to stop these waves of criminality,” Boyer said.
In the past year, the City of Laval added $1.2 million to amounts already budgeted for police services in order to deal with the local wave of gun violence.
Chomedey Lebanese restaurant hit by suspected arson twice in 24 hours
The Nuits de Beyrouth restaurant on Curé Labelle Labelle Blvd. in Chomedey was the target of apparent arson attacks during the early morning hours on Nov. 7 and 8.
According to media reports, it was the second suspected arson incident at the landmark Lebanese restaurant within a 24-hour period.
A spokesperson for the Laval Police confirmed that the Laval Fire Dept. and the police responded twice to a fire at the address at the Centre St-Martin shopping mall.