Heavy machinery made short work during the week of April 6 of a building on Chemin Sainte-Foy at the bottom of Avenue des Érables, clearing the way for construction of a condo or apartment tower.
The project, called L’Arrière Court, involves preserving and renovating two adjacent historic villas fronting on the street. They would be connected with a multi-storey residential building in the back, containing a reported 90 units.
(The QCT was not able to confirm with the project developers the approved height and number of units of the building, nor details of the size or price of units.)
The demolished building was an extension to the Maison Mountain-Kirouac, which had been owned by the Chevaliers de Colomb. It had contained a community hall and bowling alley. Built in 1866 for merchant Matthew George Mountain, it later housed the offices of an engineering firm.
The mansion on the corner of Chemin Sainte-Foy and Avenue de L’Alverne, known as Maison Petry-Amyot, was built for merchant William Petry in 1863 and later owned by George Renfrew, co-founder of Holt-Renfrew fashion stores.
Georges-Élie Amyot, the founder of Dominion Corset, bought the mansion in 1897 and lived there until his death in 1930. Up until 2010, the house was a residence and funeral home operated by the Lépine family.
Photo by Peter Black
The photo above shows the rear of the two mansions, where a building was demolished to make way for a residential tower. Below, the Maison Mountain-Kirouac stands on Chemin Sainte-Foy with the adjacent extension now removed.